In June, I was invited to a wedding in Tuscany, Italy. There were many things I looked forward to:
The Wedding itself, celebrating the love of two friends together with their family and friends
The beautiful landscape of rolling hills and the ever changing colors during the sunset
And of course, the mediterranean food and Italian wine
On one day, a friend and I were driving through the countryside. We stoped at a little plaza as we got a bit hungry for food and the taste of a real Italian espresso. We were the only tourist and could really feel the soul of this little town we stopped at. Old men, sitting outside of a cafe playing cards and their wife sitting on other tables chatting with each other. It was already 3pm and usually the restaurants are closed but luckily, one cafe had some antipasti and panini for us. First, he told us that its only for to go but after we ordered, he changed his mind and offered us to sit outside.
My friend ordered a panini (sandwich) with slices of meat and Pecorino and on my plate I had: roasted chickpeas in olive oil, a mix of cooked grains and rice and this following recipe of baked eggplants slices. Baked in the oven with various herbs, topped with tomato sauce. There was so much flavor in this little dish that I wanted to re-cook it at home.
So here it is 🙂
- 1 Eggplant
- Rosmarin, Oregano, Thymian
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3-4 Mint and Basil leaves
- 1 Onion
- 1 garlic glove
- 6-8 cocktail tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp concentrated tomato sauce
- 6-7 Basil Leaves
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat up the oven to 180ºC
- Cut the eggplant in round slices and add some Salt and Pepper on both sides
- In a small bowl, mix the olive with the herbs
- Use a grill baking sheet, put baking paper on it, coat the eggplant slices with the olive oil and lay them on the baking paper.
- Bake for 35-40min
- Heat up a pan to middle-heat
- Chop the onions i cubes and saute them with the garlic glove in the pan with olive oil
- After they turned brown, reduce to middle heat and add the tomatoes and roast them for 10min
- After the tomatoes got soft, add everything to a food processor and mix until you have a smooth texture. If to think, add some water.
- Take out the Eggplant, put them on a plate, add some sauce on each slice. Garnish with a basil leave if you want
Have a taste of nature!